• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 cups of pumpkin chopped into small pieces (I used a Kombucha squash- its creamy and has deep flavours)
• 2 cups of Minute Rice Whole Grain Brown Rice
• 1 small onion chopped
• 4 garlic cloves minced
• 3 scallions sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red peppers
• 3 jalapenos chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon of ground allspice
• 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
• 1 whole scotch bonnet
• 1 cube vegetable stock
• 300ml Coconut milk
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Chives chopped
1. Pre-heat the oven to 385° and place the pumpkin on a baking sheet.
2. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and place in the oven. Allow to roast for 30-40 minutes until the pumpkin is cooked and is starting to caramelize.
3. Remove the pumpkin. Set aside.
• In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and add finely chopped onion and minced garlic.
• Sizzle for a minute or two over medium heat until the onion has softened and the garlic is fragrant.
• Add the jalapeno peppers and cook for another minute.
• Then, add allspice, stock cube, crushed red peppers, sprigs of thyme, scotch bonnet and continue to cook and stir for another 1-2 minutes.
• As scotch bonnet is incredibly hot, please add it whole without slicing it and remove from pan before serving.
• Add the 2 cups of the pumpkin along with coconut milk and finally add the Minute Rice Whole Grain Brown Rice and mix gently.
• Bring to a gentle boil then add salt and black pepper to taste
• Put the lid on the pot and allow the rice and pumpkin to simmer on medium heat for 7 minutes.
• Do not over stir or pumpkin will fall apart. The rice will be fluffy with liquid mostly absorbed leaving a creamy velvety texture.
• Top off with the remaining pumpkin cubes and garnish with some chopped chives.